- Ruby / Rails Jobs in Berlin: Backend Software Engineer, Ruby at Contenful www.contentful.com
Ruby Usergroup Berlin - September 2021hosted by Tobias Pfeiffer, 02.09.2021 at 19:00
we're back with another remote-friendly Ruby User Group! The time is 19:00 CEST so that's 17:00 UTC or well 5pm UTC.
You're welcome wherever you're from as long as you adhere to our Code of Conduct - the meetup is in English.
Current schedule is two ~20min talks including Q&A, followed by splitting the audience into smaller groups for virtually hanging out (optional) :)
Joining the meetup
Meeting ID: 956 6879 0620
The meetup will be on zoom and it will be recorded
- if you don't want your video to be visible to others, then turn it off/leave it off
- if you can't make it/don't want to be on zoom, watch the recording!
We're aware of the privacy concerns surrounding zoom and we share them. We're looking for better tools, we haven't found them yet.
Meanwhile, if you don't want to use the desktop client the zoom browser link above should work for you. If it doesn't you can usually get to it like this: the join link should also show a tiny join from browser link at the bottom of the window. It doesn't appear to require an account anymore. If the link doesn't show up, open the Download and Install Zoom link in a separate tab, that should make the link appear. Dark UI patterns 😖
Participating in the meetup
- We'll take Q&A questions in Zoom via the raise hand feature (click on participants, there's a little raise hand link)
- There is also a #rugb-live channel in the Ruby Berlin Slack, you can join the slack here
- the socializing part is optional, naturally, our aim is to not lose that part of our meetup - we'll try to use Zoom's breakout feature to split you into random groups and give you some ice breaker questions to kick it off
Your feedback is very welcome. Things will go wrong, we'll try to fix them.
Hopefully, See you soon. Amr, Pascal & Tobi
New dev, old codebase: A series of mentorship stories
Mentorship in software development carries a lot of responsibility, but plays an integral part in making tech communities as well as individuals thrive.
In this talk, we'll go over some of my mentorship experiences, adopting techniques and learning to teach, so we can teach to learn. Anyone can be a great mentor!
Intro to Ruby Memoization
A few years ago, I was tracking down a gnarly performance spike. Overnight, a job that usually took minutes had spiked to take almost a full hour. The culprit? A misuse of ||= in an attempt to memoize a value.
What is memoization? When is it useful? When can we not use memoization? How can we memoize effectively in Ruby? We'll discuss all of these questions and more in this talk.
Ender Ahmet Yurt
Jose A Castillo Quiala
Dajana @ 🏠 👶🏻
@[email protected] | 🏀☘️🚲