we're back with another remote-friendly Ruby User Group! The time is 19:00 CEST so that's 17:00 UTC or well 5pm UTC.
You're welcome wherever you're from as long as you adhere to our Code of Conduct - the meetup is in English.
Current schedule is two ~20min talks including Q&A, followed by splitting the audience into smaller groups for virtually hanging out (optional) :)
Joining the meetup
The meetup will be on zoom and it will be recorded
Zoom browser only link (sadly needs a zoom account, probably works best on chrome/ium)
If the links are giving you trouble:
ID: 952 0045 8187
- if you don't want your video to be visible to others, then turn it off/leave it off
- if you can't make it/don't want to be on zoom, watch the recording!
We're aware of the privacy concerns surrounding zoom and we share them. We're looking for better tools, we haven't found them yet.
Meanwhile, if you don't want to use the desktop client the zoom browser link above should work for you. If it doesn't you can usually get to it like this: the join link should also show a tiny "join from browser" link at the bottom of the window. It doesn't appear to require an account anymore. If the link doesn't show up, open the "Download and Install Zoom" link in a separate tab, that should make the link appear. Dark UI patterns 😖
Participating in the meetup
- We'll take Q&A questions in Zoom via the "raise hand" feature (click on participants, there's a little raise hand link)
- There is also a #rugb-live channel in the Ruby Berlin Slack, you can join the slack here
- the "socializing" part is optional, naturally, our aim is to not lose that part of our meetup - we'll try to use Zoom's breakout feature to split you into random groups and give you some ice breaker questions to kick it off
Your feedback is very welcome. Things will go wrong, we'll try to fix them.
Looking forward to see y'all Rubyists from Berlin and maybe all over the world.
Amr, Pascal & Tobi
Frameworks, these amazing tools beloved by everyone everywhere. They give us the foundation to build amazing things fast, cheap and in a predictable manner. Not only in business of developing software, but education, design, research, marketing, motivation, leadership, team dynamics... to name a few.
Here is a framework, a pre-built thing, just fill in the details and presto, it's done (in 30 min or less)! Does it deliver? Not surprisingly, yes! Most of the time! Up to a point. The point where we want to build something not quite fitting the provided frame. This is where things often can go sideways. And this is the point from which we will explore a slightly different approach.
Gerardo Navarro Suarez
Ian | 2021... | 🇪🇺
Jose A Castillo Quiala
Ender Ahmet Yurt